Live Updates World Softball Games: Team USA vs. Italy
The only Birmingham 2022 World Games team that includes a current and former Crimson Tide athlete was scheduled to open play at the event on Saturday night. But this departure will be delayed for at least a few hours and perhaps until Sunday.
Thunderstorms and heavy rain at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium forced the tarp out onto the pitch and sent fans to take cover.
The first scheduled pitch between Team USA and Italy was at 7 p.m., but the delay began in the 4th inning of the previous game between Australia and Japan, with the Japanese holding a 10-1 lead.
Outfielder Haylie McCleney and pitcher Montana Fouts represent the Crimson Tide on the Team USA roster. McCleney is in the starting lineup for Game 1 in the center field first spot.
The match is not televised, but some play can be shown on The World Games 24/7 channel on Olympics.com, or you can also follow here on BamaCentral for live updates if/when play resumes on Saturday evening.
MAKE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR BROWSER FOR THE LATEST UPDATES!
(latest updates at top)
- 9:20 p.m. – There will be no softball game for Team USA tonight. The game has been officially canceled at the Hoover Met.
- Throughout this delay, there have been fans waiting for him in lobbies and covered seats.
- 8:45 p.m. – Lightning resumed all around the Hoover Met.
- 8:20 p.m. – Rain is still falling, but water is being scraped off the tarp and the outfield fence is being constructed.
Scroll to continue
- 7:48 p.m. – Lightning has stopped in the area and the tarp will be removed from the field in approximately 30 minutes to check the condition of the field. Then the officials will determine whether the United States and Italy will try to play tonight or not.
- Japan and Australia will leave the stadium and will not resume play tonight. They will resume another day. Officials in the United States and Italy will assess in about an hour whether they want to attempt to play tonight.
- Team Japan players take selfies with fans outside the dugout.
United States starting lineup
1. Haylie McCleney – FC
2. Amanda Lorenz – LF
3. Charla Echols – 3B
4. Hannah Flippen – SS
5. Kinzie Hansen – C
6. Dejah Mulipola – DP
7. Taylor Pleasants – SS
8. Michelle Moultire – RF
9. Janae Jefferson – 2B
Starting Pitcher – Ally Carda